Sharp piece of plastic in jar of baby food...

by DW

I was feeding my 9 month old daughter a jar of baby food tonight (would rather not include brand name at this moment). When she was almost to the bottom of the jar I found a piece of thin clear plastic with a sharp edge in a bite of food.

I checked the spoon and it could not have come from that. It was in the jar of food. I mean she wasn't injured and I'm a big "what if" person. If she would have choked on that or got that stuck in her intestines or elsewhere it could have been horrible. I'm afraid to even use the same brand anymore.

What should I do? Any advice? It was about an inch to inch and a half long. I've kept the jar of food and the piece of plastic. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Sharp piece of plastic in jar of baby food...":


There isn't a whole lot you can do. Thankfully your daughter wasn't seriously injured. If she had been the information we are sharing with you would be much different. You won't get very far with any legal action if there are no documented injuries.

You might want to contact the company and report the incident. Although these types of issues are normally aberrations, it is always helpful to, at a minimum, contact the company to put them on notice. Maybe the plant in which the baby food was manufactured or packaged has a problem with quality control.

You may not be the only one who reported the same type of occurrence. Your contacting the company may have the effect of causing the manufacturer and packager to look a lot more closely at their plants, their management, and their employees.

You will have done a great service to other mothers who, but for your taking some affirmative action, might have suffered what your child did, or worse.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Food Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: