Should I still receive payments if I don't hit 80% of my pre accident income?

by Brian
(Pensacola, FL)

I'm on Workman's comp for a car accident while I was on the job. I've been getting weekly checks and not had any real problems so far. My doctor has put me on full duty Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I'm on limited duty Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

My question is, should I still be receiving a check as long as I don't hit 80% of my pre-accident income? My doctor has not put me as MMI (Maximum Medical Improvement). From what I've read I should get a check as long as I'm not at 80% of my pre-accident income, hit MMI status, or hit my 104 week max. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Should I still receive payments if I don't hit 80% of my pre accident income?":

Brian (Pensacola, FL):

You are correct. You should continue to receive those benefits until you reach 80% of your pre-accident income. Until such time as you reach your 104 week limit you should not have any interruption to your benefits.

During the entire treatment period you should have made every attempt to regain your heath. At the time of your eventual return to full time, ask your employer to offer you a different position. Make it clear you do want to work and although you would very much like to have your former position, you will accept any lateral position.

Depending on the duration of your injury and the resulting recovery periods you may continue to receive total benefits until you reach your MMI.

The maximum 104 week requirement will apply in your case as well. As long as your actual benefit proceeds do not result in an overage above the original injury's estimated treatment allowance you will be okay.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: