Signing insurance release for injuries while driving my father's car?

by A

I was involved in a car accident in Florida. I was stopped and got hit from behind, pushing me into the car in front. I was injured. I am not the owner of the car I was driving at the time, nor am I the main person listed on the insurance policy. My father owns the car and is the main person on the insurance. I am just listed under him on the registration, allowing me to drive the vehicle and also have coverage under his name.

When signing the injury release form from the at-fault driver's insurance company, does my father have to sign the paper as well for the form to be in affect? Or is just my signature and the witness (insurance agent) signature that is needed? Is there anything else I need to know about signing the release? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Signing insurance release for injuries while driving my father's car?":

A (Florida):

Your father is not under a legal obligation to sign the release. However, unless he does, the insurance company may not pay the claim. Insurance companies want to be sure anyone related to the claim releases the insurance company for injuries and property damage occurring as a result of their insured’s negligence.

Because the car belonged to your father, it is logical the insurance company will require his signature on the release.

You should know, once you sign the release you will not be entitled to pursue the negligent driver and/or his or her insurance company for ANY further medical bills, property damage, out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages, or future pain and suffering.

As a result, you need to be sure you are fully healed, or have reached a level of maximum medical improvement proportionate to the amount of compensation necessary to pay for your treatment and recovery.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: