Single car accident on icy bridge...

by Anonymous

Recently I was driving on a freeway and the weather conditions were poor. When I drove onto a bridge I began sliding instantly. I was driving about 30 MPH. I didn't brake, but instead I tried to regain control and was unable. As I spun over the ice, the concrete barrier acted as a ramp and the car slid until the back driver's side tire was hanging off the bridge.

I was driving my fiancé's fathers car at the time of the accident. I wasn't cited by the officer who responded. I went to the ER later in the day because I had numbness and pain in my right arm and hand.

I'm a machine operator and wasn't able to work after the accident. I missed a week's worth of work in total. I also had to rent a car, and had to pay a $500 deductible.

Will my finacé's father's insurance company offer me a settlement? I'm not sure how it works. I signed a release for the ER records and follow-up appointment I had. Is there a time frame to get the case closed? Any info you can give would be appreciated.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Single car accident on icy bridge...":

Anonymous (Ohio):

Unfortunately, you seem to be confused about how property damage and personal injury insurance policies exist in the State of Ohio. Your fiance's father is not liable for either your property damage or personal injuries.

To be able to pursue a claim against your fiance's father would require the father to have been negligent. From the facts you present, if there exists any negligence at all about the time of your crash, that negligence belonged to you. To be able to receive any compensation for your injuries, you will have to turn to your own medical insurance.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Road Quality Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: