Skin laceration when walking through a haunted house...

by Jimmy
(West Lafayette, IN)

I was visiting one of the haunted houses last Friday, and in the dark my leg was cut by something on the floor when I was walking through the house. I think it was something that should not have been there because it was on the floor of a passageway.

I reported the injury to the manager immediately, and they sent me to the hospital. I later received a text message from the manager who said they will cover my medical bills.

Should I ask for compensation other than my medical bills? I was able to walk after having eight stitches, but I wasn't able to drive. I don't think I can run or jump in the next couple days. What should I be looking for in terms of a settlement from the haunted house? Thanks for any information you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Skin laceration when walking through a haunted house...":

Jimmy (West Lafayette, IN):

While your injury was unfortunate, you really won't be entitled to much more than your medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages (if you had to miss work for treatment), and a small amount for your pain and suffering.

Not being able to drive is certainly inconvenient, but not such an inconvenience as to greatly increase your claim for compensation. Not being able to run and jump is not compensable unless your job duties require you to engage in those activities.

In the alternative, if your wound results in a permanent scar, your injury settlement amount will increase a lot. If your doctor is confident your wound will result in permanent scarring, seek the counsel of an experienced personal injury attorney.

Serious injuries, including permanent scarring, should not be handled by a victim. There is just too much at stake. Fortunately, most injury attorneys do not charge for initial office consultations.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Haunted House Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: