Slandered by my employer...

by Erika
(Tampa, Florida)

I was approached and threatened to be prosecuted and fired by my manager at my job for theft. Once we reviewed the videos and receipts, my innocence was justified. They offered no apology and told me I was still employed by them for now. After being humiliated I no longer wanted to work there and said we should part ways.

After finding out I got a new job, the owner of my past job went to my new job and harassed my new manager, accusing him of stealing his employee. What can i do if anything?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Slandered by my employer...":

This establishes a new "low" for employee morale! Fortunately for you, you have moved on to a new employer. The problem is, you cannot seem to shake your former boss.

You do have some recourse. The situation your boss created when you worked for him/her sounds like a hostile work environment. You can report such incidences to the Labor Board and you can even file a law suit for both hostile work environment and harassment if you choose.

As to your present situation, I would guess from your facts that your former boss is still menacing to you; If so, I would definitely recommend that you file a complaint for civil harassment.

The other cause of action as to your current employer actually is something that he/she must bring forward on their own because you may lack standing to do anything on behalf of your existing employer.

Often, a legitimate lawsuit based on a real cause of action is all that is needed to make a bullying individual think twice about their behavior.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Defamation of Character Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: