Slip and Fall Accident Case Against Community College...

by Sally
(Grantsboro, NC , United States)

I was walking into a community college office and I slipped on the floor, there was no wet floor sign. I hurt my back and my knee, not to mention I was pregnant at the time of the fall and didn't know it.

I went to the chiropractor as well as the appointments with the doctor. I'm still having trouble with my back and my neck. Now it's time for me to meet the insurance adjuster and I feel as though I will always have problems with my back and knee and I won't be compensated for my injuries.

Not only was this very inconvenient for me, but I had just gotten out of the hospital after having emergency surgery and due to the accident i was not able to get my work done on time. I failed the current semester in school. What can I do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Slip and Fall Accident Case Against Community College...":

First and foremost, you must make sure to receive treatment for your injuries. In addition, you will need to submit a claim to the insurance company for the community college. (It sounds as though you have already done that.)

When you are finished treating, and not a day sooner, you want to add up your medical bills and this will give you your total medical special damages. Let's assume they are $5,000. From there, you will multiply this figure by 4-5x and add any out of pocket expenses such as prescriptions or co-pays, as well as lost wages. This will give you a starting figure to work with when dealing with the adjuster.

You may not feel completely compensated because most people would not re-injure for the opportunity to have a settlement, however settlements are designed to make you as close to whole as possible.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to No Signage Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: