Slip and Fall Incident at a State Park...

by Jerry

I had a slip and fall incident at a state park and I was wondering if there's anything I can do. I was walking at a state park and slipped on ice on a walking trail. I sustained a broken ankle.

Do I have any legal recourse for the injuries I sustained? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Slip and Fall Incident at a State Park...":

You may have a claim. Many states, including Illinois have a special process you must go through to sue them. The specific process is set out in the Illinois Tort Immunity Act. Basically it means you must fill out a Government Claim Form before you file your lawsuit.

You can get all of the information you will need about this process by going to From that site you can download the Claim Form and then mail it back to them, or hand-deliver it. Remember the law in Illinois gives you one (1) year from the date you were injured to file your claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Public Property Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: