Slipped and Fell On Own Property...

by Steven
(Port Angeles, WA)

My wife was taking groceries into the house and on a second trip to the car she slipped on our porch and fell on her back. She can hardly walk and is in a lot of pain.

Will our homeowners insurance policy help offset some of the cost if she goes to the doctor? She has a major medical policy that covers the big items, but not something like this. What would be the best thing to do? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Slipped and Fell On Own Property...":

Steven (Port Angeles, WA):

Yes, your homeowners insurance should definitely cover a portion of your wife’s medical bills. Contact your homeowners insurance company and tell them you want to file a claim.

Before contacting them check to see what your deductible is. That will be something you and your wife will have to deal with before the insurance company reimburses you and your wife for your medical bills.

Within week or so after your initial contact with the insurance company you will be contacted by an insurance company representative. She is called a “Claims Adjuster”. She will set up a claim and begin an investigation. That’s standard procedure.

She will also probably want to take your wife’s telephonic recorded statement, and possibly yours as well. That’s also standard procedure.

Make sure you ask the Claims Adjuster for the Claim Number. That will be your reference point each time you communicate with the insurance company.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Home Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: