Slipped Down Stairs as a Tenant...

by Amy
(Roseville, CA)

I was a tenant in a 2 story home and slipped on 1/1/12. The stairs are carpeted and I was wearing socks. I fell and hit my mid-back on one of the carpeted stairs. Since then, I have missed work, racked up numerous doctor bills, x-ray/MRI bills and chiropractic bills.

The next day after the fall, the landlord notified us that he hasn't been paying his mortgage and we had to move by 2/1/12. We moved 2/3/12 and I wasn't able to help at all. I am still experiencing severe pain and I am continuing to see my doctor due to this incident. This occurred in Roseville, CA.

Can I sue the landlord after I have moved out? Will my landlord not paying the mortgage prohibit me from collecting any injury compensation from him? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Slipped Down Stairs as a Tenant...":

Amy (Roseville, CA):

You are in a precarious position. You can sue the landlord, but if he hadn't been able to pay his mortgage it is doubtful he is solvent enough to pay any court judgment.

You don't have a legal claim against the new landlord. Inasmuch as you have moved out of the residence the landlord has no duty to protect you.

If you had sued the previous landlord prior to the sale to the new landlord and had received a court judgment against her, there would exist a possibility the judgment would pass on to the new landlord.

Often, when sales of real estate take place, any outstanding judgments are either passed on to the new landlord or extinguished (paid off) prior to the transfer of title.

In your case you don't have the benefit of either circumstance. Unless you have private insurance you may not be able to receive compensation or reimbursement for your injuries.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Stair Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: