Slipped on water in the bathroom of a doctors office...

by Maria
(San Diego, CA)

This afternoon I was in a doctor's office to get a note excusing me from school (for a procedure I had last week). I used the bathroom at the office and as I turned to flush the toilet I slipped on water. I landed on my back, hitting the side of the toilet.

My back was kind of sore at first but it did not feel serious. I did have pain mostly in my fingers because I had smashed them on the toilet. I let the receptionist know of my fall and security was also told.

As I left my back was getting sore and it's now in a lot of pain. I'm worried I may have pulled something in my back but I do not have health insurance to see a doctor. What can I do to get my back examined to make sure I didn't seriously hurt myself? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Slipped on water in the bathroom of a doctors office...":

Maria (San Diego, CA):

If you are a minor, contact your parents immediately. If you are not, then the following will apply...

If your school has a school nurse then see her immediately. Doing so shouldn't cost any money. You were smart to report the incident at or about the time you fell. As a result it is probable a School Incident Report was created.

If the school's nurse determines the fall and resultant injuries are serious enough to merit further examinations and tests, she should refer you to either the school's doctor, or a doctor who has some professional association with the school. Doing so should continue your freedom from having to pay for treatment.

If the doctor believes your injuries merit further examinations she may set you up for X-Rays, an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) examination, or a CAT Scan (Computer Axial Tomography). All of these tests can accurately determine if you have suffered anything from torn ligaments, torn or sprained muscles or cartilage, and even organ damage.

Because a continuum of treatment will have been initiated by your school nurse, it will follow you won't have to pay for any medical costs. This will also include future treatment if necessary.

Hopefully you just suffered some "soft tissue" injuries. Those are the type which can include cuts, lacerations, contusions, swelling and the like. Although soft tissue injuries may afford you some degree of pain and discomfort, the injuries should heal rather quickly with a minimum of medical care.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Business Liability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: