Son Injured at Friend's BBQ...

by Tanya

My 10 year old son and another 8 yr old boy ran into each other - my son's teeth collided with the other child's head. My son lost two teeth there and ended up needing replantion surgery costing over 4k out of pocket! Does the homeowner's policy cover an accident like this?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Son Injured at Friend's BBQ...":


From the facts you present we are unable to determine if the injuries occurred on your property or a neighbor’s. Truthfully it doesn’t matter. The answer to your question is "yes" - Homeowners insurance policies are meant to cover injuries just like the one your son and his friend suffered.

Be sure to contact your insurance company if the injuries occurred on your property. If the injuries occurred on your neighbor’s property, you should ask the neighbor for the name, address and telephone number of their insurance company. Once received you should contact them just as you would your own insurance company.

Whichever way it works out you will soon be discussing your son’s case with an insurance company “Claims Adjuster”. Their job is to investigate the facts of the case. Presuming she believes the injuries are true and covered under the homeowners policy, she will begin paying the medical bills and related expenses.

Be sure to document not only the medical bills already sustained, but ask the dentist to give to you some sort of verification in the form of a Diagnosis and Prognosis of the future costs supporting the four thousand dollar surgery.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Homeowners Coverage Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: