State Prison Not Providing Timely Medical Care...

by Lorie
(Ogden, UT, USA)

My son is an inmate at the Utah State Prison. He was working with The Wild Horses Program and while at work on Feb 15, 2012 he was bucked off one of the horses and broke his arm. They have still not gotten him to the hospital to have it put in a cast. They told him they only have video conferences with the University of Utah hospital doctors on Mondays and it happened to be a holiday, so he has waited yet another week to be seen.

He did get that video conference yesterday, but has yet to be seen by the doctors and we are going on two weeks since the accident. I was wondering if there was anything I or anyone else can do to get him the care he needs for his arm? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "State Prison Not Providing Timely Medical Care...":

Lorie (Ogden, UT, USA):

There is something you can do. Contact the Warden's Office and lodge a complaint. Do so in writing, by certified letter, and in person if possible.

Include in that complaint the proof you and your son have confirming the broken arm. If it is at all possible to include a copy of the x-rays taken when his broken arm was first diagnosed, include those as well.

If your efforts with the Warden's office fail there are two distinct and separate groups which support Utah prisoners' rights. Contact them and see if they will intervene on your son's behalf.

The names, addresses and telephone numbers of those support groups are as follows:

Prisoner Information Network (PIN)
P.O. Box 165171
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
(801) 359-3589

Prison Fellowship Utah
P.O. Box 1976
Orem, UT 84057

If these efforts do not result in securing the medical attention your son requires you can always consider retaining an attorney to file suit.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Jail Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: