Student Cut in Locker Room...

by Miles
(Fort Dodge, IA)

My son was in the locker room at the high school when he jumped up to retrieve his swimsuit from the top of the shower "tower". The top had been removed a long time ago for repairs and he sliced open his hand and fingers on the exposed stainless steel.

He required surgery to repair the tendon in his middle finger along with stitches in the rest of his fingers and hand. He may never be able to play guitar again and I am concerned about his future career as a chiropractor. Is the school liable? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Student Cut in Locker Room...":

Miles (Fort Dodge, IA):

The school appears to be liable. From the facts you present your son wasn't contributorily negligent in any manner. Contact the school administration. Tell them you want to file a claim on your son's behalf. At this point you may not need an attorney. As long as the school remains cooperative you may be able to settle the case by yourself. If the school balks you may then have to seek the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney.

The problem with these types of cases is getting the at-fault party to offer a fair settlement. If the school agrees to cooperate they may only offer to pay your son's medical bills. That's probably not going to be enough, especially if your son's chiropractic career is in jeopardy. It will be entirely up to you whether you want to pursue the claim yourself. If you do you may have to be prepared for a long-term affair.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to School Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: