Suing employer after assault at work in minimum security jail facility?

by Brady
(Springfield, MA)

A friend of mine works in a minimum security jail facility. He was assaulted by a prisoner there, who had previously assaulted a fellow employee that day, as well as prior days before that. The incident resulted in a torn shoulder and bumped head on the ground.

The shoulder injury required surgery and rehab. My friend stayed out of work for a year, and recently they have just contacted him to go back to work per diem.

Can he sue his employer for compensation for his injury? If he is considering suing his employer, would it be wise for him to go back to that job, especially if a lawsuit is in the process? Thank you very much.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Suing employer after assault at work in minimum security jail facility?":

Brady (Springfield, MA):

Hopefully your friend filed a workers' compensation claim near the time of the injury. If so, then your friend should have been receiving medical and therapy benefits, reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses (for such things as medications, costs of travel to and from treatment, bandages, etc.), and about 2/3rds of your friend's lost wages during the period of time your friend was unable to work.

Of course, this presumes your friend's primary treating physician authorized the absence of work for medical reasons. Workers' comp benefits do not include compensation for pain and suffering.

Workers' compensation laws do not permit an injured worker to sue his or her employer. The only exceptions would be if the employer was grossly negligent, or displayed a wanton disregard for a worker’s safety and well-being. From the fact you present, this doesn't appear to be the case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Workers Comp Third Party Lawsuit Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: