Suing for Pain and Suffering in a Child Custody Case...

by Anayeli

I have a case right now where my ex-boyfriend is suing me for father rights for our one year old baby. I would like to know if it's worth suing for pain and suffering.

To make a long story short, since all of this started I have been having a lot of money issues since I had to hire an attorney etc. My ex-boyfriend gives me no child support and all he does outside of court is demand to see our child which causes arguments etc.

Sometimes I find myself in the position where I don't have any money to buy my baby's needs. I want to know if it's worth suing for the pain and suffering that he is causing me and my baby? What do you think? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Suing for Pain and Suffering in a Child Custody Case...":


Regrettably the law in most states does not permit a person to file a lawsuit solely to recover for Pain and Suffering. Although you did not tell us what state the City of Carpentersville is in, we will presume you are speaking of the State of Illinois.

After checking the State’s laws and procedures as they relate to Pain and Suffering, we confirmed there is no recovery available for Pain and Suffering in the State of Illinois except as the result of a Personal Injury, Product Liability, or Medical and Legal Malpractice.

Any recovery you are seeking would be best set out in your ex-boyfriend’s case. Because of the technical nature of that type of recovery you would be best served by seeking the advice of a local Attorney.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Emotional Distress Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: