Swimming Injury at University...

by Alyssa
(Tallahassee, FL)

I was swimming laps at my university's pool when I kicked a metal pole that was in the laps lane. It was a pole attached to a chair that hoisted elderly people into the pool. I don't think it should have been left in the pool. I nearly ruptured my achilles tendon. I got ten stitches and am on crutches.

What can I do? Can I hire an attorney? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Swimming Injury at University...":

Alyssa (Tallahassee, FL):

Unless the injury resulted in permanent scarring or other permanent impairment, you may not need to retain counsel. Without permanent or sustained injuries it would be difficult to find an attorney to accept the case anyway. If though, you want to speak with an attorney to clarify your legal position, most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation.

If you suffered no more than 10 stitches you can pursue a claim against the university. That claim will include reimbursement for your medical bills, our of pocket expenses such as prescription and over the counter medications, doctors fees, hospital or doctors' office parking fees, lost wages, and pain and suffering, commonly referred to as "Damages".

If you decide to go ahead and file a lawsuit you can do so by yourself in your local Small Claims Court. Before doing so, contact the school's highest administrator and relate your experience. Tell them you want to speak with someone about compensating you for the damages you suffered when you were injured in their pool. If you are not able to negotiate a settlement with the school you can then proceed with your case.

In the State of Florida the Small Claims Court's jurisdiction, or maximum limit you can sue for, is $5,000 dollars.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Sports Injury Claim Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: