Taking a Settlement for a Rear-End Car Accident...

by Delois
(Saint Louis, MO)

I was rear ended in a car accident. I am sore. They want to settle and I am not sure if there may be complications afterward. If I settle now will I not be able to get compensation later? My lower back, neck, and shoulder blades are sore. My knees were sore and the top of my feet. I also had a headache in the back of my head and my eyes were bothering me. It is possible that it could be a cold or sinus problem. I don't feel as bad today with that problem.

I am getting my car checked over today to make sure that the underneath is alright. My bumper was hit and scraped. The foam underneath was crushed. So they are going to replace my bumper and compaction foam. And I am going to have the car fixed today. The person that hit me, her car was in worse shape. According to the policeman, her headlight fell out and her grill was torn up.

I guess my main question is: If I take a settlement now will I be able to get compensation later if I have complications?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Taking a Settlement for a Rear-End Car Accident...":

Rule Number One of personal injury settlements is that you NEVER settle until you are completely finished with your treatment for the very reason that you described: You have no idea what complications might arise until you are released from your doctor.

If you were to settle today, there is no going back to the adjuster later and asking for more money, so it is imperative that you wait until the doctor releases you. (If permanent disabilities are involved you should get a lawyer to handle the case.) As to the vehicle damage, take your vehicle for an estimate and submit this claim right away so that you can get your car repaired.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Injury Compensation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: