Therapist Intentionally Inflicting Emotional Distress...

by Vicki
(Chicago, IL)

My grandson is Bipolar and was receiving therapy and medication from an outpatient clinic. Everything was fine until his therapist left and a new one replaced him. The new therapist would deliberately frustrate him and provoke him into tantrums. She was more upsetting than helpful. She then did not want to see him for therapy, saying he was not stable.

I found another therapist from a different clinic to treat my grandson. Here's the problem, the bad therapist continued to do "case management" as she called it. She was calling his school trying to get him switched to a therapeutic day school, against my wishes. And attempted to get him in a residential placement, also against my wishes.

I delivered a written revocation of permission for her to talk to anyone on behalf of my grandson, but it didn't end there. Out of spite she called DCFS (Dept. of Children and Family Services) on me for "medical neglect," basically because I did not follow her directives. Mind you she is no longer even his therapist!

I am now under investigation, which is extremely upsetting and stressful for me. She was demanding that I put him in the mental hospital and so on. He was even evaluated at his school by SASS (Screening, Assessment and Support Services), which is part of public aid and must approve any hospitalization.

SASS and his new therapist both agree that he does not need to be hospitalized. She also really used a lot of malicious slander in the report to DCFS. Amongst other nonsense, she said I was under treatment for Anxiety and on Medication, which is not true.

She also cancelled his appointed to get his medication while knowing I did not have enough to last until my appointment with the new place. Basically, she is intentionally causing my grandson and I extreme emotional distress.

What can I do about this? Can I file a complaint against her with the state, or sue her for slander and harassment? Can I get a restraining order against her to have her stop interfering with my grandson's treatment and my life? Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Therapist Intentionally Inflicting Emotional Distress...":

Vicki (Chicago, IL):

You can file a complaint against the therapist/social worker with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. To access the appropriate complaint form go to the IDFPR website.

If the therapist believes your grandson may be a danger to himself or to others, the therapist has a legal duty to report that matter to third parties who may be harmed by the child.

If you feel the therapist is wrongfully continuing to abuse her professional ethics, you can file an application for a restraining order with the court. But unless you have been appointed as the legal guardian for your grandson, the child’s mother or father would have to file an application for the restraining order.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Emotional Distress Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: