Tooth Damage After Biting Into Coffee Cake...

by Lisa
(Ogdensburg, NY)

I was eating a coffee cake I bought at a large grocery store chain and I bit into a walnut shell. I had to get my tooth worked on as it had cracked due to biting into the shell. The store's insurance agents are asking me what I want to settle on for my damages, what would you suggest? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Tooth Damage After Biting Into Coffee Cake...":

Lisa (Ogdensburg, NY):

Your case is considered a "Product Liability" case. The company which sold you the cake (product) has a duty of care to its customers. They breached that duty when they permitted, knowingly or not, a walnut shell to be left in the cake they sold to you. Although you were injured, your injury wasn't a result of willful or malicious intent.

As a result, the settlement for your injury will not be substantial. It will probably include reimbursement for your dental bills, and payment for any wages you may have lost when you were being treated or were recovering from the injury.

In addition, you may be entitled to reimbursement for any out of pocket expenses such as prescription or over the counter medications. Finally, you may be entitled to a reasonable amount of money for your pain and suffering.

Figuring out what the proper settlement amount should be can be difficult. The rule of thumb is taking your dental bills (by themselves) and multiplying them by 3 - 4 times. Start at 4 times, and try and convince the insurance company to settle for somewhere around that number or slightly less, but no less than 3 times that amount.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Food Contamination and Poisoning Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: