Torn Ligaments from Slip and Fall in My Apartment...

by Mary
(Philadelphia, PA)

I tripped and fell in my apartment walking in the door. I thought I sprained my ankle but later found out I actually tore ligaments and tendons and will need surgery.

I'm wondering if my renters insurance policy will cover the medical costs? If not, are there any other ways to get payment for my injuries? Thanks for any help you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Torn Ligaments from Slip and Fall in My Apartment...":


There is a strong possibility your renters insurance will cover your injuries. It's a very good idea to read your insurance policy BEFORE calling your insurance company.

It is not uncommon for renters insurance carriers to immediately deny coverage hoping their insured will believe the insurance company would never lie to them. Regrettably the opposite is true. For many insurance companies, especially those who offer renters insurance there exists an unwritten policy to deny, deny and then deny again.

They do this hoping the renter has been too busy to read their policy, and if they deny enough times, the insured may give up. That's why it is so very important for you to know what you are paying for when you but renters insurance.

Barring something extraordinary, it is unlikely there will be any reasons your apartment owner or management will be liable. Your best bet is to attempt to recover from your renters’ policy.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Home Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: