Traffic accident while working as a temp day laborer...

by Romer

I was working as a temp with this day laboring company, who assigned me to work with a company doing highway work. My job was to set out the cones for traffic patterns. We were heading back to the spot where the electronic traffic signs were located, when the guy I was working with attempted to cross 3 lanes on the expressway.

We were hit by a car, and when the state trooper arrived on the scene, they rush me off and attempted to relocate me to another spot on the expressway. I told them I needed to go to a hospital. I called my friend to come pick me up and went to seek treatment.

I had gotten a lawyer at the time, but unfortunately I was later locked up in another state, so the lawyer couldn't reach me. And since I didn't get a chance to talk to the state trooper, the temp agency and company I was assigned too deny that I was in the accident. I have no proof I was there besides my work ticket. What can I or should I do to get compensation for my injuries and medical bills?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Traffic accident while working as a temp day laborer...":

Romer (GA):

Apparently the state trooper did not believe you were injured seriously enough to have required paramedic transfer to the local hospital. That in and of itself doesn't mean you weren't seriously injured. The only way you can pursue a workers compensation claim is if your injuries were serious enough to require medical treatment more than just the treatment you received at the emergency room.

If so, your first step will be to contact the State of Georgia Workers Compensation Board. You will need to complete and file a WC-14 with the State Board and send a copy of the form to your former employer and their workers' compensation insurance carrier. If you contact the State Board they will provide you with Form WC-14.

Access the State Board's web site to file a claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: