Truck Accident Causes Neck, Back and Head Injuries...

by Shuntaye

My cousin and I were about to pull in at a store when a truck backing out hit my side of the car, the passenger side (my cousin was driving his car). It kept backing into the side of the car which caused me neck, back and head injuries. I've had x-rays and CAT scans.

I'm still having pain in my back and all over my body. My head has been pounding ever since the truck hit my side, causing my cousin's car to shake and my head to hit the side of the door. My chest was hurt because of the seat belt and my stomach.

Will I get paid for my medical bills? What do I do now? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Truck Accident Causes Neck, Back and Head Injuries...":


From the facts you present it appears the driver who backed into you is clearly liable for your property damages and personal injuries. Hopefully you were able to exchange insurance information. Some people think if they are in a vehicular collision and believe the other party is clearly at fault it is not necessary for them to give the at-fault driver his information as well as collecting hers.

The more information available the easier it will be to settle your case within a reasonable time and often without litigation.

You should be paid for your medical bills, referred to in the insurance business as “Hard Costs”. You also should be reimbursed for your out of pocket expenses. Those include, but are not limited to: pain medication, bandages, parking lot fees (if related to your recovery), and lost wages (also if related to taking time off for doctor’s visits and therapy).

You should call the 800 or 877 number present on the at-fault driver’s insurance card. When you call your claim will be referred to a Claims Adjuster.

Normally you will have to leave your information first. An Adjuster will normally contact you after she speaks with her insured. Adjusters traditionally seek their insured’s version of the facts before contacting the injured party. When you are contacted by the Adjuster make sure you ask for the Claim Number. That will be the reference number during all of the settlement negotiations.

Make sure you seek medical care as soon as is reasonably possible. Although compensation for injuries is quite important, the State of Mississippi has a 2 years Statute of Limitations. That is a fancy legal term for a 2 year time limit to settle your claim or file a lawsuit. So take care of your health first. You will have plenty of time to deal with the Adjuster, while not jeopardizing your case in any way.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Semi-truck Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: