Uninsured Motorist Case...

by Mia
(Portland, OR, USA)

My sister-in-law and I were rear ended two days ago and the other driver did not have insurance. My S-I-L has talked to her insurance company and they said it will be covered under her uninsured motorist policy.

What happens if my back and neck injuries are worse than I hope they are? I don't want to mess up my family insurance. The accident happened in California as I am here on vacation, but I'm from Portland. Thanks!

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Uninsured Motorist Case...":

Mia (Portland, OR, USA):

Your injuries and the resultant medical bills should be covered by your sister in law’s uninsured motorist insurance policy.

It really doesn’t matter where you live. What only matters is there was a collision. The at-fault party did not have insurance, and your sister in law did have uninsured motorist insurance.

The next issue will be the amount of the uninsured policy. There are so many different insurance policies and so many different insurance companies who offer them, you will have to speak with your sister in law and find out what her policy limits are. You'll then have to contact her insurance company and submit a claim.

There is no legal reason compelling you to remain in California to pursue your claim for compensation for your injuries. See your family physician in Portland. She will direct you to any other physicians if she feels you need specialized treatment.

Additionally you may need therapy for some time after the collision. Technically all of your medical bills and necessary therapy should be covered by the uninsured motorist policy your sister in law kept in effect.

But again we remind you to first check with your sister in law’s insurance company to make sure first, that they have agreed to cover your medical bills and related treatment, and second that there is enough to pay for your treatment.

Finally, if there is not enough money to pay for your treatment you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company; especially if you have uninsured motorist insurance.

Many people don’t know that under similar circumstances they can go to their own insurance company for reimbursement. Just like with your sister in law, the filing of a claim with your own insurance company will not be held against you as a “black mark”.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Comments for Uninsured Motorist Case...

Click here to add your own comments

unisured motorist
by: n.j.

Hi, I was in and accident in October 31,2008. I was rear-ended by a drunk driver and he was uninsured. I have not been compensated yet by my own insurance company. I do have a lawyer and he said he is waiting on a court date. Why does it take so long to get a court date?

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Rear-end Collision Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: