Unnecessary eye surgeries?

by Victoria
(Lansing, MI)

My Mother had multiple surgeries on her left eye. She had brown spots that were thought to be cancerous, but no cancer was found. A doctor in Ann Arbor Michigan performed multiple surgeries, each time freezing the eye to remove brown spots. However, he admitted that he should not have performed a certain part of the surgery.

All he could do was apologize. However, now my Mother is left with distorted vision and needs reconstruction. I know this was unethical. And now she still needs help. We don't know where to turn or what to do. What can we do? Any direction you can give would be appreciated.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Unnecessary eye surgeries?":

Victoria (Lansing, MI):

You may have the basis of a medical malpractice claim. To know for sure will take expert medical testimony. Every case is different. Your mother's case will have to be independently studied by medical experts, including board certified ophthalmologists.

Medical malpractice claims are very complex. To have even a chance of prevailing will cost thousands of dollars. Money will have to be available to hire medical experts, for pretrial matters, including depositions and interrogatories of the doctor.

Fortunately, most med mal attorneys have the funds to pursue these claims. An experienced attorney will have access to medical experts, and will pay all thee costs of pursuing your case. Moreover, you won't have to pay any legal fees to the attorney until, and unless he or she succeeds in settling your claim, or winning at trial.

Once your attorney succeeds, you will only then have to pay his or her legal fees and reimburse the the funds spent in pursuit of your case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Surgical Malpractice Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: