Victim of Uninsured Motorist...

by Norma
(San Antonio,TX)

My daughter and her friend were the victim of an uninsured motorist when his vehicle passed a red light and hit them.

My daughter and her friend were in the car and both had minor injuries. The other vehicle had no insurance but my daughter's friend had liability coverage. Would they be compensated for pain and suffering?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Victim of Uninsured Motorist...":


The answer is “Maybe”. Texas law does permit compensation for Pain and Suffering to those injured in a collision. This is true even when the at-fault-driver is uninsured and it becomes necessary to rely on the driver's uninsured motorist insurance coverage.

The “Maybe” answer is because to recover for Pain and Suffering there usually has to exist more than the minor injuries you described. If the injuries consisted of, let’s say, broken bones, extended hospitalization, surgery or similarly serious medical intervention, then any insurance settlement should include compensation for Pain and Suffering for both women.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Pain and Suffering Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: