What Are My Workmans Comp Rights?

by Den

After I finished my shift at work I got hit by a car as a pedestrian. It happened just across from the hospital I work at. Can I claim from the other party's insurance since I crossed on green light? There are people telling me that I can claim for workman's compensation. What do you think?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "What Are My Workmans Comp Rights?":


In the State of Maryland Workmans Compensation coverage will cover injuries you sustained on the job. “On the job” has been included to mean walking to your car while still on your employer’s property, or even if you were on your way home and off premises but were dropping off a package, the mail, or doing any other type of extended work for your employer.

From the facts you present it appears the at-fault driver was completely liable for the injuries you suffered.

Now, let’s say you were finished with your work shift and had already left your employer’s premises. Your employer wanted you to make one stop to drop off the money at the bank, or to drop off the company mail. While doing so you crossed at the green and were struck by a vehicle who had failed to stop at the traffic signal.

In a case like that there remains a good possibility you cannot only recover your medical bills through Workmans Compensation, but also file a claim for injuries against the driver’s insurance company.

The claim filed against the at-fault driver’s insurance may include compensation for medical bills, any lost wages, out-of pocket expenses, pain and suffering and mental anguish.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Off-the-Clock Work Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: