What are Workers Comp Terms for Permanent Disability?

by Russell

I fell and was injured on poorly designed steps. Others have also fallen there. The property owners have since changed the steps. I herniated my L5 vertebrae and went to a neurosurgeon, but he was not ready to operate. The workers comp doctor said that I was "7% whole body permanent disability."

What does this mean? What happens next? Human Resources has not contacted me.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "What are Workers Comp Terms for Permanent Disability?":


From the facts you present it appears you have only received one diagnosis from a physician we can assume was on your employer’s list. You have the right to ask for a second opinion and you should. But let’s talk about what the “7% whole body permanent disability” really means as it applies to any settlement. The 7% disability number is applied to your wages at the time of the fall. The process is a bit complicated so let’s take a look.

Take the 7% disability and multiply it by your yearly wages. Let’s say you make $40,000 a year and you are 40 years old. So that would be $2,800. So then you would take the $2,800 and multiply it by 25 years (until you retire at 65). That amount equals $70,000 dollars. Add to that amount inflation, any bonus, probable raises in salary and the number climbs up from $70,000.

Of course there will be a set amount of attorney’s fees depending upon the amount and form of settlement. The amounts we just calculated are based on speculation and cannot be held to be accurate in your specific case.

Human Resources will contact you soon and, through their Workmans Compensation insurance representative, or Claims Adjuster, will discuss a settlement with you. We should tell you because of the complicated formulas which are part of the whole settlement process in these types of cases you would be well-served not to agree to anything until you have visited with a qualified Personal Injury Attorney.

There are some matters which can be dealt with without the intervention of a skilled lawyer and then there are those which should not.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Work Disability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: