What should I do if my landlord hit me in the face?

by Richard
(Riverview, FL)

I was having a verbal dispute with my landlord when he came up to me and said, "you're fixing to get an ass beating." Then he threw both his hands to the side of my face as hard as he could and shook my head.

I reported him to police but I wanted to know if I have more rights? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "What should I do if my landlord hit me in the face?":

Richard (Riverview, FL):

If your landlord caused any injuries you will have a civil case against him. If the property you rent is owned by someone else you will also have a civil case again that entity. Your injuries though must be medically documented, and to effect any substantial settlement or court ordered Judgment the injuries must also be of a serious nature.

By serious I mean more than just a doctor's or emergency room visit where no stitches, MRI's (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) or CAT Scans (Computer Axial Tomography) produced any evidence of bone breakage, torn ligaments, torn cartilage, torn muscles, organ damage, or similar non-"soft tissue" injuries. Soft tissue injures are those which involve sprains, swollen tissue, and the like.

Soft tissue injuries are recoverable as well, but unless those injuries resulted in documented medical bills, your case won't be very strong.

The facts you present don't indicate you suffered any injuries. The injury you may have suffered is the landlord's rudeness and threats. Regrettably, those are not actions which can be reimbursed or compensated.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Assault & Battery Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: