What to do after a slip and fall at a store?

by Hiral
(San Jose, CA)

I was at the store and slipped on a wet floor. I was at the register counter when I fell. I hurt my back and feel pain in my injured knee. I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow to check everything out.

I would just like to know what to do in such a situation? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "What to do after a slip and fall at a store?":

Hiral (San Jose, CA):

Hopefully you will only have some sprains. If so, you can take proof of the medical bill for the treatment and diagnosis of the sprain and present it to the store manager. If she refuses to pay the bill you can always consider filing a Small Claims Court case.

If the medical bill is not very much, and the store refuses to pay you may want to consider doing nothing. The sheer hassle of preparing the lawsuit, paying the filing fee, and then waiting while the Sherriff or constable files the lawsuit, all can be quite stressful. Once that's accomplished you will have to show up in court for trial.

If your injuries are not serious it is very unlikely a lawyer will consider accepting the case. It just wouldn’t be worth it. On the other hand, if your injuries turn out to be serious, you might want to consider hiring a skilled Personal Injury Attorney.

Most Personal Injury Attorneys do not charge for an initial office consultation. You would be well-advised top at least sit down with one so you can learn what your options are.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Retail Store Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: