Which insurance will cover my hurt knee at my mother's property?

by A

I was walking in a field on my mother's property, stepped in a hole, hyper-extending my knee. As a result I had a torn meniscus. I had meniscal repair, submitting claims to my health insurance company.

My mother called her property insurance carrier and they contacted me, indicating they would pay $1000 to me for medical expenses, and asked that I submit copies of statements, which I did. I met my deductible and out-of-pocket max with my personal health insurance.

I now have received a form from a company which is auditing payments made by my personal health insurance. Is there a problem with how this incident was handled? How will the insurance companies deal with each other? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Which insurance will cover my hurt knee at my mother's property?":

A (USA):

Presuming your mother's property insurance paid you $1,000.00, and your own health insurance paid you an amount as well, the audit is meant to confirm the amount of reimbursement your own insurance company is entitled to.

In most cases, personal health insurance policies permit the insurance company to seek reimbursement for monies paid in excess of funds their insured recovered for the same injury.

In your case, there was only one injury. Insurance companies do not normally permit what is colloquially referred to as "double dipping." Carefully review your health insurance policy under the "Indemnification" section. There you will see the language regarding the company's right to seek reimbursement.

You really didn't mishandle the matter. The important thing is your medical bills were paid. Above that, you really can't expect much more. Homeowners and personal health insurance policies rarely, if ever permit compensation for pain and suffering.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Home Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: