Who covers the medical bills for this boy's injury?

by Michelle

My son was playing in a neighbor's yard and with their child. My 10 year old son tackled (just playing) and knocked down their 9 year old boy. The other boy broke his collarbone/clavicle.

The boy's parents took him to a clinic to confirm the broken bone and will follow up with an orthopedic doctor.

My question is, do we pay for medical bills that happened on their property even though my son tackled the other boy causing his injuries, or will their homeowner's insurance cover it? This occurred 1/21/12. Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Who covers the medical bills for this boy's injury?":

Michelle (Texas):

What happened was an accident. The accident occurred on your neighbor's property. Your neighbor's homeowners insurance should cover the boy's injuries. If not, your own homeowner's policy should cover it.

Breaking a clavicle (collar bone) isn't much of an injury. The clavicles are some of the weakest bones in a young person's body. They heal quickly and almost never cause any residual problems.

You can do whatever you want, but it would be in your best interest and that of your son to speak with your homeowners insurance company before you do anything else. Let them handle the matter. That's why you pay for insurance.

It would also be in your best interest and that of your son to cease all communications, other than referring the mother to your homeowners insurance company. Again, that should be all you will need to do.

If you have any questions about the matter, one of your insurance company's claims adjusters will answer them. It is regrettable you have to go through this, but letting the insurance handle it is the best thing to do.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Liability / Fault Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: