Who gets the insurance check for my medical bills?

by Brian
(Owensboro, KY)

I had a motorcycle wreck and had to be hospitalized. I racked up a $10,000 medical bill. I didn't call my insurance company and report the claim, the hospital did. I'm just wondering how my insurance company will make the payment? Will they send a payment to the hospital, or will they send me the check?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Who gets the insurance check for my medical bills?":


In most cases when an injured patient gives the hospital the name of the insurance company responsible for paying the patient’s medical bills, the insurance company, in an effort to make sure the hospital will be paid, will send the check directly to the patient but with the check made payable to the patient (you) and the hospital.

This method of payment has been in place for many years. Before, insurance companies would make the checks payable only to its insured (the patient), presuming the insured would be honorable and use the money for the purpose intended; that is to pay the hospitals.

Some did, while others did not. This prompted many hospitals to refuse to accept certain insurance unless the insurance companies changed their policies and made the insurance checks payable to the patient/insured, AND the hospital.

Once that happened the only way the insured/patient would be able to cut out the hospital would be to forge the hospital’s name on the check. Those who attempted to do so were often arrested and charged with the felony offense of Forgery.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Motorcycle Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: