Will my neighbor's homeowners insurance cover my son's injuries?

by Jessie
(Vancouver, WA)

My 22 year old son was playing football with a neighbor's kid at a school football field (for fun, not a real game). The neighbor's son is 16. My son injured his shoulder and now requires surgery.

My question is, will my son's medical expenses be covered under my neighbor's homeowners insurance policy since his son is under age?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Will my neighbor's homeowners insurance cover my son's injuries?":

Jessie (Vancouver, WA):

That's a good question. Each homeowner's policy is a little different. If your neighbor will cooperate and allow you to read the Declaration Page of her homeowner's policy that might be a good start. The only way you will be able to tell if the injury is covered is by reading that policy.

If your neighbor won't cooperate you can always consider filing a lawsuit against her. Doing so will be somewhat of an undertaking. If you decide to pursue legal action against the homeowner you would be best served by speaking with a personal injury attorney first. Most will not charge a fee for an initial office consultation.

Once you visit with an attorney you will have a much better idea of the probability of success in your legal action against the homeowner. Sometimes a letter from an attorney to the homeowner is sufficient for the homeowner to contact her insurance company. Once that occurs your attorney will be in a much better position to advise you of the strength or weakness of the case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Homeowners Insurance Claim Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: