Work Injury to My Thumb Caused Nerve Damage...

by Anonymous

I cut my thumb at work and it was not my employer's fault. But now my thumb has no feeling in it and feels weird, like it's itchy all the time. It's been about eight months since the injury. I go to doctor this week for the last time. He told me that workers comp pays nothing for thumbs in Hawaii.

So now I have to live with this all my life while others get paid? The employer at the time was under paying me for the job I was doing so I don't care if they get higher insurance rates, plus they no longer employ me. About 3/4 of my thumb is numb and I have a half inch scar.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Work Injury to My Thumb Caused Nerve Damage...":

Anonymous (Hawaii):

From the facts you present we cannot be sure if your doctor’s visits were to a Chiropractor for therapy, an MD or DO for surgery, or some other medical treatment. It appears your employer’s insurance company has paid for 8 months of your medical treatment or therapy.

Your doctor was correct when she stated there wasn't any independent payment for your thumb. Unless you lose a digit by amputation, whether voluntary or not, there is no “lump sum” payment for an injured thumb, even if the thumb, like yours, was seriously injured.

You state there is one more doctor’s visit before she releases you. Because you are still suffering pain and discomfort in your thumb we urge you to contact the Workmans Compensation insurance Claims Adjuster and request an extension of your medical treatment or chiropractic therapy.

Whether you are still employed there or not you have the right to petition the insurance company for extended benefits, enough so as to afford you the opportunity of further treatment for your thumb.

You may also want to contact a plastic surgeon in your area and see if she would be able to remove or cover your scar. If she believes she can, you should also request from the insurance company’s Claims Adjuster additional compensation to be paid to the plastic surgeon.

Finally, if you are not satisfied with the doctor who has been treating you, you have the right to ask your employer for the names of other doctors for which her insurance will cover.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Work Disability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: