Workers Comp Not Paying for Knee Injury...

by Jeannie
(York County, Maine)

While caring for a patient I tripped over the patient's wheelchair wheel and twisted my left knee. The employer's insurance company has denied me benefits due to a pre-existing arthritis condition. I did not know about this condition. I had no problems with my knees until after I twisted my left knee. There wasn't anything I could not do, my range of motion was as normal as anyone else's until AFTER I twisted my knee.

My understanding is, the employer accepted me as I was when they hired me, which means they hired me with the pre-existing condition, though I did not know I had one at the time. The employer did not send me to any physician to determine my health status before hire.

Tripping over the wheelchair has caused at least a 75% reduction of my range of motion.

I would like to know, for the state of Maine, if there are any laws that protect an injured employee even with a pre-existing condition? Also, if you know of any case law?

I am supposed to go to a mediation hearing soon. Another co-worker who was also injured was denied benefits due to a pre-existing condition. She said the hearing was a nightmare. I want to go into my mediation armed with some kind of law or argument that the employer's attorney can't shoot down.

Many thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Workers Comp Not Paying for Knee Injury...":


You might request a copy of the medical narrative prepared by the physician who examined you. Do not request the information from your employer. Instead, contact the physician's office directly. Tell them you will be coming by in person the next day to pick them up. If they determined your pre-existing arthritic condition by X-rays, you will want those as well.

The next step would be to file an appeal.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Pre-existing Condition Questions (WC)

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: