Worker's Compensation and PIP coverage?

by Tiffany
(Dallas, TX, USA)

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident while driving a company vehicle in Texas. The accident was not my fault. All my medical bills are being taken care of by worker's compensation.

Do I still have a claim under my own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy with my auto insurance?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Worker's Compensation and PIP coverage?":

Tiffany (Dallas, TX, USA):

You may. But, you will have to first read your automobile insurance liability policy. Unfortunately many standard consumer automobile insurance liability policies which include PIP, or Personal Injury Protection coverage, have what are called "Exclusions".

Exclusions are those events upon which an automobile insurance company can deny coverage, even if PIP was originally purchased.

Unfortunately one of those Exclusions may be injuries sustained while driving a company vehicle, or one of your employer's vehicles, or your own vehicle while using it for commercial purposes.

The best suggestion we can make is to grab your policy and skip to the Exclusions section. There you may be disheartened to learn your PIP may not be available under your set of circumstances.

If you do not have the actual paper policy in your possession, go online to your automobile insurance company's web site. Most insurance company web sites will permit you to download a copy of the company's standard policy, including the page where the Exclusions are listed.

In the hopeful event your circumstances are not excluded, you should then go ahead and make your claim under the PIP section of your policy. Let's hope you are covered.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: