Workmans Compensation Benefit Isn't Enough...

by Anonymous

I signed the workers comp settlement and now I found out my Social Security Disability is going to be like 80% lower. I should have gotten a lawyer to advise me on what to do. I did not know they would lower my check so much.

So now my SSD check will be about $200 a month which I can't live on. I applied for SSD and was accepted while I was on Work comp. I don't understand if you receive a settlement why I have to give most of it back. I am only 56 and will not be working anymore. I don't know how I am supposed to live. I don't understand. I live in Montana. I have worked all my life but won't be able to afford to rent.

Is it possible to reopen a workmans compensation claim if you signed and received the settlement? Is there anything I can do? Thanks for any info you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Workmans Compensation Benefit Isn't Enough...":


Regrettably, once you signed the Workmans Compensation settlement agreement you became bound by its terms. There are very few instances where a Workmans Compensation agreement can be reopened, and those rare instances normally occur soon after the case is settled. Grounds for re-opening a case are usually as a result of fraud or coercion. In your case those grounds don’t seem to exist.

You would be best served by making an appointment with a Workmans Compensation Attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. If there is any chance at turning back the clock at all, it will be at the hands of a skilled attorney.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Comments for Workmans Compensation Benefit Isn't Enough...

Click here to add your own comments

Utica Mohawk
by: Anonymous

There is a certain language or wording to be used and it should NOT effect the agreement for benefits. Look it up as I am not certain of the exact language. It shows the settlement amount to be used over your lifetime I believe. Get with a attorney if you have to. Their service is well worth the fee.

Same boat...
by: tim

I would like to hear the rest of the story. I'm about to receive a settlement also and I'm wondering if it will affect my Social Security Disability.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Work Disability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: