Wrongful discharge from a pain management clinic?

by Wes

I was being treated by a pain management doctor at a clinic. The office called one afternoon and told me to be in their office the next day or I would be discharged. My scheduled appointment was for one week later, and they knew I would be unable to go because of my inability to receive transportation on such short notice.

They told me my workers comp insurance company was responsible for getting me there, which they were not. I'm wondering if I can sue my pain management doctor for wrongful discharge? They falsely assumed workers comp would transport me, and I had no other way of getting there. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Wrongful discharge from a pain management clinic?":

Wes (Alabama):

Unfortunately you don't have a credible medical wrongful discharge claim against the clinic. You will need to find another medical clinic and notify your workers compensation insurance company of the change. They may conduct an inquiry with the clinic who discharged you wrongfully to see if there was wrongdoing.

If the workers compensation insurance company determines one of the medical providers in their system is acting improperly toward patients, workers compensation may choose to delete that clinic from their list. This will come after a thorough investigation of the clinic's practices and procedures toward its patients, especially those patients covered under the same workers compensation insurance. Unfortunately this would not immediately inure to your benefit.

You can always consult with a personal injury attorney about your claim of wrongful discharge. Bring copies of all your medical records, including the dates of the original appointment you had which was changed by the clinic. Unfortunately they may advise you similarly. Most personal injury attorneys don't charge for initial office consultations.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Hospital Error Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: