Wrongful Termination Pain and Suffering...

by Karen

I am planning to negotiate with a former employer. I have to come up with a number for them for pain and suffering and loss of income because of wrongful termination.

I was off work for 5 months, no one wanted to hire me because I was fired for something I did not do. What would you recommend for pain and suffering on a wrongful termination case? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Wrongful Termination Pain and Suffering...":


Regrettably and with few exceptions, Pain and Suffering are not recoverable damages in a Wrongful Termination case. You might want to consider Mental Anguish as an alternate demand.

With that in mind we suggest you calculate your lost wages for the 5 months you were out of work. Add to that figure parking lot fees, and (with gasoline soaring past the $5.00 mark) a pro-rated amount for the gasoline used while you were going to job interviews, and any other job-seeking items which only you would know.

Mental Anguish is a subjective term and one difficult to estimate as we really don’t know how difficult a time you had and how much anxiety you had to deal with during that terrible period when you were wrongfully accused of a crime.

In a case like yours, and as we mentioned, without more detailed information about the circumstances which led to your wrongful termination we have to leave that amount up to you.

If you are able to put together a brief but detailed account of what led to your dismissal, including, but not limited to, your embarrassment, alienation, and mental angst, we might be able to give you a better idea of an amount for Mental Anguish.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Wrongful Termination Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: