It would be nice if getting a fair accident settlement was easy. Unfortunately, negotiating a personal injury claim with an insurance company can be a stressful and drawn-out process.
That’s why we built this website. This guide helps personal injury victims navigate the claims process on their own. We’re not a law firm, but the information here is written by experienced lawyers.
There are two main sections:
- The Claim Guide walks you step-by-step through the claims process, giving useful insider tips and “how-to” information to help with your claim.
- Case Types gives all the main categories of personal
injury claims, and specific information for each case type.
The most common personal injuries result from car accidents and slip and falls, but many people are injured by defective products, dog attacks, work equipment, etc. This site helps you understand the claim and lawsuit process regardless of your particular injury.
1) Intro to Personal Injury Claims
Important introductory points on injuries and accident claims.
- Do you need an attorney?
- What to do after a car accident
- Do you file a claim or lawsuit?
- Basics of filing first-party claims
- How hiring an injury attorney will impact your claim
- Introduction to the negotiation process
Learn the basics of personal injury cases and how insurance claims work.
- Using the elements of negligence to build your claim
- Basic liability rules
- 5 Steps to negotiating a car injury claim
- Everything you need to know about proximate cause
- Beginner’s guide to calculating personal injury compensation
- Filing a claim with your own insurance
- Types of liability insurance in personal injury claims
- Dealing with insurance adjusters
- How to write a personal injury demand letter
- Injury demand letter example
- How to file a property damage claim after an accident
- Intro to filing claims against the government
- 5 ways to prevent fake injury claims
- How prior injuries affect new claims
- Basics of preparing and negotiating claims
Learn how liability applies in different personal injury situations.
- What’s the legal burden of proof for claims and lawsuits?
- Definition of negligence and other rules of liability
- Liability in auto collisions
- Using traffic violations to help your claim
- Predetermined fault
- Drunk driving accidents
- What to do after a bicycle accident
- Liability in bike accident claims
- Bicycle laws and cyclist responsibilities
- How bike helmet law affects liability
Slip and Fall Accidents:
- Liability in slip and fall claims
- Duties of property owners and visitors
- When are property owners liable?
- Building code violations
Other Case Types:
- Do you have a valid medical malpractice case?
- Parental liability in accidents involving children
- Proving liability for dog attacks
- How to establish a product liability case
Learn what you should do after an accident to help your personal injury claim.
- Steps to take after an accident
- What to do in the first few days
- Tips for filing whiplash injury claims
- What you need to put in writing
- Avoid these negotiating mistakes
- How to take car accident photos
- Important tips for evidence collection
- How police accident reports impact your claim
- Using witness statements to help your case
- Statute of limitations laws
- Beware of recorded statements
- Recognize bad faith negotiating tactics
Injury compensation, damages, pain and suffering, etc. are discussed.
- What can you claim for compensation?
- How to calculate your pain and suffering settlement
- Increase your award by thinking like an adjuster
- Settlement amounts with different injuries
- How compensation increases with permanent injuries
- Reimbursement for emotional distress
- Claiming lost income in your settlement demand
- Factors that can decrease settlement payouts
- Property damage claims and personal injuries
- Negotiating tactics and medical terms
- Using “outside factors” to negotiate a higher offer
- Getting a nuisance value payout if your claim is denied
Learn essential negotiation strategies to get a higher settlement from the adjuster.
- Basic steps on the way to settlement
- Negotiate with patience and persistence
- Negotiation styles of claims adjusters
- Medical records and confidentiality laws
- How to organize your paperwork
- Rejecting the adjuster’s settlement offer
- Common reasons your claim may be denied
- How to deal with bad faith tactics
- Options when negotiations fail
- Small claims court and alternative dispute resolution
How to handle the final stages of settlement negotiations.
- Accepting the settlement and signing the release
- How to handle delays receiving your check
- Watch out for liens on your settlement
- Tips for negotiating medical liens
- Paying taxes on your settlement proceeds
All about filing lawsuits and using small claims court to force compensation.
Small Claims Court:
- Basic steps to filing a small claims lawsuit
- Should you file suit in small claims court?
- How to file a small claims lawsuit
- Preparing your small claims case
- How to present your case in court
- Ins and outs of civil litigation for injury cases
- What’s the burden of proof in civil court cases?
- How attorneys prove their cases
- Appeals court and personal injury cases
- Using arbitration to resolve personal injury disputes
- Arbitration vs. small claims court
- How does arbitration work?
- What to expect at an arbitration hearing
How to find a personal injury attorney for your case, and other important information.
- Handle the claim yourself or hire an attorney?
- Choosing the best injury attorney
- Contingency fee agreements and attorney compensation
- Negotiating attorney fees
- Tracking your lawyer’s time and progress
Personal Injury Case Types:
- Different Types of Auto Accidents
- Vehicles Commonly Involved in Collisions
- Common Causes of Road Accidents
- Common Auto Accident Injuries
- Auto Insurance Explained
- Business liability for injuries
- Residential injuries in homes and apartments
- Injuries in other locations
- Dangerous property conditions and other causes
- Common issues with work claims
- Causes of work injuries
- Administrative problems
- Types of work injuries
How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?
Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…