Visitor Question

Abdominals deformed by injections of diabetes medication…

Submitted By: Frank (Powell, Ohio)

I am a diabetic type 2. I had controlled my disease with diet. My blood sugar went out of control, so I was prescribed a regimen of injectable medications my doctor (Bydureon).

I took the medication for six weeks, and after that it began leaving lumps in my stomach at the injection site. I went back to the doctor and she switched it. I now have permanent lumps where each injection was and they are not going away.

The bad part is I am a fitness professional, a yoga teacher and a personal trainer. I have also wanted to compete in physique completions, but now fear I won’t be able to. My abs are extremely lean and muscular. They were very nice as far as a physique goes, but now they are ruined because you can see every lump from all six injections of Bydureon. I have been deformed.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can I file a claim for my damages against the doctor and/or company that produces the drug? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Frank,

Bydureon is used to improve blood-sugar control in people with type-2 diabetes. The medication is designed to help the pancreas make more insulin, and it does so by mimicking the hormone GLP-1. However, Bydureon carries prominent warnings about the risk of thyroid cancer. There is also growing evidence linking Bydureon to pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.

Additionally, Bydureon can have the following side effects:

– Pancreatitis

– Pancreatic inflammation

– Hemorrhagic pancreatitis

– Necrotizing pancreatitis

– Pancreatic cancer

– Thyroid cancer

– Medullary thyroid carcinoma

You have three (3) primary options:

1. You can retain an attorney to pursue a personal injury claim against the doctor based on medical malpractice.

2. You can retain an attorney to pursue a product liability claim against the drug manufacturer.

3. You can “opt in” to a class action along with other persons who have suffered similar injuries. A class action is a lawsuit wherein one or more plaintiffs retain a law firm to prosecute a lawsuit on behalf of a larger group, or “class.” This allows courts to manage lawsuits that would otherwise be unmanageable because of the sheer volume of affected plaintiffs who were similarly harmed.

For more information about current class action cases, visit

Learn more here: Dangerous Drug Lawsuits

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck!


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *