Visitor Question

Am I responsible for my 18 year old daughter’s accident?

Submitted By: Chris (Carthage, NY)

My 18 year old daughter was staying with us for a couple months. Her drivers license had my address listed, but she had been living with her father for the last 2 years. She just never changed her address. At the time of the accident she was with us for about a week.

This was temporary as she was getting married the following week. She only had a bag of clothes at our house, no other personal belongings. She rear-ended someone with her car and has her own insurance. Now her insurance company wants our insurance information. They say it’s because they want to make sure she wasn’t covered under our insurance.

Am I responsible for her accident? What’s the insurance company’s responsibility in this situation? We live in NY state. Thanks for any information.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Chris,

You are not responsible for your daughter’s accident, nor do you have to reply to your daughter’s insurance company.

Your daughter caused the accident. As a result, she is ultimately responsible for the injuries she caused, as well as the victim’s damages.

The victim’s insurance company is likely referring to their ability to subrogate. They want to be sure if they pay the victim’s damages, your insurance company didn’t pay them as well.

If so, your daughter’s insurance will want to subrogate against the victim. They want to be sure the victim isn’t paid by your daughter’s insurance company and again by your insurance company.

The insurance company likely does not want to pursue you or your daughter. They are interested in making sure the victim isn’t paid twice. You can choose to cooperate with the insurance company, or choose not to. It is up to you. By not doing so, you and your daughter will likely not be adversely affected.

Learn more here: Rear-End Accident Compensation

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *