Visitor Question

Are fifteen-year-old work restrictions still valid?

Submitted By: Teresa (VA)

I injured my shoulder at work 15 years ago. I have had 3 operations on my shoulder and still suffer pain. I was awarded workman’s compensation in VA. I was released to go back to work under specific restrictions without any date that my restrictions would be lifted.

The company has respected these restrictions, but now I have a new boss that says the restrictions no longer apply. He has me doing work that causes me a great deal of pain. Even though my Dr’s note is 15 years old, my problem with my shoulder still continues. Can a company do this? What is the time limit on medical work restrictions? What are my options? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Teresa,

There really isn’t a time limitation on medical work restrictions. Once you reached a level of maximum medical improvement (MMI) you were probably shortly thereafter released to return to work.

If you are in pain it’s incumbent upon you to seek medical care. Because your pain is still work-related you have a right to seek medical care under your employer’s workers compensation insurance. Ask your workers comp representative to give you the names of several doctors. Go and see them. If a doctor determines you are unable to work because of your injury you may be entitled to further workers compensation benefits. If your pain is debilitating you may be entitled to a disability settlement award.

The State of Virginia is an “at-will” employment state. This means absent an employment contract your employer has a right to terminate your employment for just about any reason. He can’t though fire you for filing a workers compensation claim.

Learn more here: Worker Partial Disability Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *