Visitor Question

Are verbal and mental abuse eligible for pain and suffering?

Submitted By: Mary (Charlotte, NC)

The following was done to my adult 24 yr old daughter, who has battled depression and anxiety for several years. She also contemplated suicide and was hospitalized a year ago. All of this is known by her close friends.

Here is what happened…

My daughter traveled last weekend with a close friend, who has a Masters in Psychology. Under the influence of alcohol, her friend decided to abandon my daughter leaving her alone without transportation in a small town unfamiliar to her.

Her “friend” went on to tell her that she was a joke of a human and a waste of space and wished she would just kill herself and put everyone of out of their misery of dealing with her. She went on to laugh at her and taunt her that even if she found a way back to her friend’s house she would never get passed the security system to get her car out of the garage.

My daughter was stuck no matter what she did. Distraught and panicking, my daughter reached out to me and another friend to help her get home. We were both 2 to 3 hours away. She continued to say she was no better than garbage dumped on the side of the road, just a waste of space and started contemplating suicide.

Fortunately, I learned that friends of mine were visiting the area. They were able to locate her and provide her a safe place for the evening. I picked her up in the morning. I could see her mental health had deteriorated significantly. On the drive back, she didn’t talk much but kept telling me she felt like garbage dumped on the road, worthless and unwanted.

The actions of her “friend” have undoubtedly compounded her mental illness. We have an appointment with her psychiatrist to determine next steps for treatment. I doubt we have a pain/suffering case but thought I would ask. Would this qualify as mental abuse? Could anything be done in a situation like this? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Mary,

From the facts you present, the friend’s words and actions were indeed cruel. However, such cruelty, while morally wrong, is not actionable. This means there does not appear to be a legal basis upon which your daughter can seek compensation from her friend for mental cruelty.

Moreover, while your daughter has a right to full possession of her car, she does not have an absolute legal right to take her car from her friend’s property. Instead, to gain access to her car your daughter will first have to obtain permission to enter her friend’s garage. That access can only be obtained with the express permission of the


However, if your daughter’s friend refuses to allow your daughter to gain access to her car, your daughter can file a Replevin Action lawsuit against her friend.

In a Replevin Action, a person may file a lawsuit against the person who is in control of, but not necessarily the rightful owner of, certain property. The lawsuit petitions a court to award the plaintiff, for example your daughter, her rightful property.

In addition, in an effort to recover her car, you daughter can consider filing a small claims lawsuit against her friend. That lawsuit can be based on Recovery of Personal Property. However, the North Carolina Small Claims Court’s jurisdiction is up to $5,000.

This means if your daughter’s car is worth more than $5,000, filing a lawsuit in small claims court would not be allowed.

Learn more here: Compensation for Emotional Distress

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

One comment on “Are verbal and mental abuse eligible for pain and suffering?

  1. Sam says:

    Something similar to this happened to me in college. I traveled all the way to Texas to east coast. After a night of going out, my friend left me at a frat house with a almost dead cellphone. She knew I had my monthly cycle and said they would come get me but never did. My phone died and I slept in a random bed in the frat house.

    I was bleeding on my legs and dress (causing embarrassment and shame). I suffer from horrible cramps and pain and had to walk all the way to another dorm in hopes to gain computer access to locate her. Luckily there was a girl sitting at the frat house and I took two of her tampons. I bled through both of them in under two hours.

    When my friend finally picked me up her mother gave me Advil as if I was faking cramps. I had narcotic painkillers in my bag at their house from the last time I had to be hospitalized from it. We didn’t discuss it much because I didn’t want to hear her excuses. She said she wasn’t that drunk…well neither was I. I remember every detail. Sitting in the computer lab panicking trying to get a ride so I don’t start bleeding all over my body. I feel your stance. Its horrible.

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *