Visitor Question

Attacked by Friend While Drinking…

Submitted By: Melanie (Rio Rancho, NM)

In October my friend attacked me and bit a chunk out of my chin with her teeth. We were both drinking but we had not been fighting prior to the attack, the night was going well until the end. She brutally attacked me when I was passed out, trying to get out of the vehicle we were driving in. She pulled my face back and bit a chunk out of my face.

I now have a scar on my chin, I missed work, and I’ve endured pain and suffering. I am not sure how I should handle this incident. What should I do about suing her? Should I sue her? I have never done anything like this before. It happened while I was visiting her in Colorado. I live in New Mexico. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Melanie,

Hopefully you, or someone else, called the police at or about the time of the attack. Without 3rd party verification, especially police verification, your claim against your “friend” for damages will have trouble surviving.

If there were witnesses to the attack they may prove helpful in substantiating your case. Taking their statements would have been very helpful. If you didn’t take them at the time of the attack it isn’t too late. Inasmuch as the attack took place in another state you may have trouble getting those statements. Don’t worry. You can still call the witnesses and take their recorded statements over the phone.

The major problem you will have is the “venue” of the case. The venue is the place in which the case must be pursued if it goes to trial.

The venue relates to the court’s jurisdiction over the case. The court having jurisdiction over the attack is located in the county, or “venue” in which the attack occurred.

Learn more here: Claims for Physical Fight Injuries

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *