Visitor Question

Auto Accident Involving Misplaced Stop Sign…

Submitted By: Crystal (Azle, Texas)

My son had an auto accident that is supposedly his fault. The intersection has a stop sign, but you cannot tell who it’s actually for (which street) because it is turned. Not only that, you can’t even see it until you are in the middle of the intersection!

The stop sign is placed around a corner behind trees. The officer didn’t even cite my son because of this. Should I seek legal advice to hold the city/county liable for damages to my totaled car? Would I have a case?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Crystal,

Contact the city and the county responsible for the maintenance of the streets in Azle.

Explain exactly what happened in the accident.

Explain that the officer dispatched to the scene didn’t cite your son for any traffic infractions, even though it appears he ran the stop sign. That in itself is strong evidence of the city and county’s liability.

If the police officer completed a police report make sure you get a copy of it. Normally police reports are completed within a couple of days of the accident. The cost of a copy of the police report is usually nominal – usually $2 or 3 dollars.

The next step will be filing a “Tort Claim”. Pursuing a city or county is different than pursuing an individual. To pursue a claim against the city you will have to go through the Tort Claims process.

In the State of Texas you have 90 days within which to file a Tort Claim after the date of the injury or collision.

If you contact the city of Azle and then Tarrant County they will make the Tort Claim Form available to you. From there, follow the procedure. You will eventually be invited to a meeting where you can discuss your case and make a request for reimbursement.

Learn more here: Poor Road Quality and Conditions

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *