Visitor Question

Botched extraction led to osteomyelitis of the jaw bone…

Submitted By: Dan (Scottsdale, AZ)

My endodontist was extracting two teeth (whether it was necessary is another discussion). He made a bloody mess of the situation, and left me to heal. I saw him a month later because I was in excruciating pain, and found there was a hole through to my sinuses.

He performed two procedures over two months, which were intended to cover the hole with my gum. I finally went to the hospital and they found I had a serious infection in my jaw bone (osteomyelitis).

It took over a month of home care to heal, with very strong antibiotics administered through a chest port. This yahoo needs to be punished. I can’t find an attorney to take the case because I am already disabled, so there weren’t any wages lost, etc. What should I do?

Am I going to have to sue by myself? Any ideas where there is a website to help me? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Dan,

If you can’t find an attorney to accept your case, you’re in a precarious position. While you can attempt to sue the endodontist by yourself, you can be sure the dentist will be represented by a high-powered attorney provided by the dentist’s medical malpractice insurance company.

Moreover, suing the endodontist will require expert testimony from specialists in that area of practice. They can be quite expensive.

You might want to first consider filing a grievance with the dental board in Arizona. To do so will not require an attorney. You can submit your dental records to the board. Once submitted, it’s likely the board will investigate the matter using their own experts. Those experts will not cost you any money.

If the grievance investigation results in a finding of malpractice, you will then have a better chance of finding an attorney to accept your case. One step at a time.

Learn more here: Filing a Dental Malpractice Lawsuit

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *