Visitor Question

Boyfriend in an Accident While Driving My Vehicle…

Submitted By: Lynn (Cherry Valley, IL)

My boyfriend was driving my SUV and was in an accident. We were waiting at a red light when he thought he saw a green light and started going, but the green was the arrow for the turn. When he accelerated he hit the driver making the turn. The police officer that handled the accident scene gave him a ticket, so the accident was his fault.

I’m wondering if I have liability in this accident since it was my vehicle? Can the other driver go after me and sue me? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Lynn,

Yes. You and your boyfriend may be jointly and severally liable for the injuries or property damage sustained by the other driver. The owners and drivers of vehicles involved in automobile collisions normally share liability.

But the other driver doesn’t necessarily have to sue either of you. That’s not the way it usually works. What will probably happen is you and your boyfriend may be contacted by the owner, her insurance company, or her attorney. Because the collision involved only property damage and not personal injures you both really don’t have much to worry about.

As long as either one or both of you carries enough insurance to pay for the other driver’s property damage you really shouldn’t be concerned. If either of you receives a letter regarding the accident simply refer the matter to your insurance company. That’s what you pay automobile insurance for.

Your insurance company will take care of the matter entirely. If either of you hasn’t had previous car accidents, the matter probably won’t affect your insurance rates.

Learn more here: Illinois Car Accident Guide

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *