Visitor Question

Broke my foot on uneven pavement walking into my apartment building…

Submitted By: Jody (Woodbury, MN)

I was walking into my apartment building and rolled and broke (5th metatarsal) my foot on uneven pavement. It’s my driving foot and I needed to see a surgeon who said I would be in a walking air cast boot for the next 10-12 weeks, which means the rest of the summer!

What are my options? Can I make the apartment management or owner pay for my medical bills, etc.? Thanks for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Jody,

The apartment complex owner should be liable for your injuries and resulting damages. In personal injury claims damages normally include your medical bills, out of pocket expenses for medications, crutches, etc. – even the cost of your doctor’s office parking lot fees and a prorated amount for the gasoline used traveling back and forth for treatment to pharmacies, etc.

In addition your lost wages and the pain and suffering you are enduring are all part of your damages.

Some personal injury claims can be handled without an attorney. Those injury cases are often referred to as “soft tissue” injuries. They include sprains, muscle pulls, minor cuts, bruises, and the like. More serious injuries like broken bones, deep gashes, serious burns, head trauma and the like should never be handled without the advice and counsel of an experienced personal injury attorney.

Gather your medical bills and medical records, receipts for medications, and a letter from your employer verifying the amount of wages you normally make.

Contact several personal injury attorneys. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. With the facts underlying your injury you shouldn’t have a problem finding an attorney to accept your case. Because most personal injury attorneys don’t charge any fee until and unless they successfully settle your case or win it at you won’t have to worry about paying any fees or costs of your case in advance.

Learn more here: Slip and Fall Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *